All things are possible for one who believes – Mark 9:23
Memorable activities lead to memorable learning.
At Waverley Abbey C of E Junior School we believe in the importance of both on-site visitors and off-site education to broaden learning and develop social and life skills.
All year groups have a number of curriculum linked on-site visitors (e.g. a Roman Soldier, a Viking visitor and ZooLab), local visits (e.g. church services, Tilford fieldwork, Islamabad Mosque) and planned day long trips (e.g. Butser Farm, Winchester Science Centre, add South Downs Planetarium).
As a Church of England school we have regular visits from our local vicars and their supporting youth team. We also welcome in the local church team to run interactive assemblies and workshops for all children, helping them to develop their understanding of the Christian faith.
In addition, a residential visit is also offered to all year groups at Waverley Abbey
- Year 3 - a one night sleepover at school. Daytime activities are organised by SOLD (Surrey Outdoor Learning) and supported by Year 3 staff and other volunteers.
- Year 4 - a two night residential trip to Runways End. This incorporates environmental and adventure activities.
- Year 5 – a three night stay at Calshot Activities Centre near Southampton. During the stay here the children take part in a range of adventurous activities alongside completing a River Study as part of our geography curriculum.
- Year 6 – a four night stay on the Isle of Wight at UKSA (United Kingdom Sailing Academy). During this stay the children take part in a range of watersport activities.
The purpose of Educational visits includes:
- The promotion of health and fitness
- The development of key skills-listening, social and communication skills
- To have fun and to remember an enjoyable experience
- To gain independence and raise achievement by boosting self-esteem and motivation
- To gain a ‘sense of adventure’
- Learning to take responsibility for belongings
- To enjoy real life experiences first-hand
- Linking areas of learning
If you would like to find out more about the curriculum please make an appointment to see your child's teacher who will be happy to discuss this with you, you can do this by contacting school through the office via - firstname.lastname@example.org